CalPlant, creator of the revolutionary Eureka™ medium density fiberboard (MDF), was founded with the sole purpose of creating and manufacturing agrifiber-focused building products for the 21st century. Strategically located in the heart of the rice farming community in Willows, California, CalPlant promotes environmentally conscious practices by producing Eureka from renewable post-harvest rice straw. Learn more about what we do by visiting our website!
CalPlant offers an exceptional package including:
- Competitive base pay
- Competitive medical, dental, vision insurance coverage
- 401(k) with guaranteed (Safe Harbor) company match of up to 4%.
- Paid time off and paid holidays
We are currently seeking a Straw Yard Supervisor to manage safety, quality, productivity, costs, inventory, yard rotation, and efficient flow of straw from the straw yard through straw preparation necessary to meet production demands. This position will lead the team, ensuring adherence to all applicable policies and procedures, works with suppliers and employees to eliminate waste and maintains cost-effective sources for harvest season and year-round waste removal.
Key accountabilities include:
- Supervise daily safety, quality, and production of the green end.
- Maintain consistent communication with the straw yard, straw prep and production teams.
- Work with vendors and their contracts to ensure best-cost service.
- Manage an accurate inventory of the straw yard.
- Maintain and ensure the proper appearance of straw yard, bales, and stacks.
- Monitor expired, obsolete, and aging materials to ensure the minimization of waste.
- Coordinate testing and certification of all the equipment and materials as needed.
- Identify and keep abreast of applicable technical concepts and process technologies.
- Supervise staff in the development, analysis, and reporting of area requirements.
- Provide hands-on training for teams.
- Monitor all operations that affect raw materials.
- Assure reliability and consistency of recorded data.
- Lead product and process improvement trials and studies.
- Support management team to ensure excellence in environmental stewardship.
- Participate in teams working on opportunities to promote manufacturing excellence.
- Develop, coach and serve as a resource to direct reports through periodic performance reviews and frequent feedback.
- Contribute to the overall success and continued growth of CalPlant by always adding value to the organization and willingly participating in tasks assigned that are outside the scope of this job description, but within the capabilities of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or agriculture related majors preferred.
- 2 years’ supervisory experience.
- 2 years’ experience in agriculture, manufacturing or related role.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willing to work as part of a team with ability and willingness to assist in nurturing an environment of employee involvement.
- The ability to function well in a manufacturing and farming environment, and the ability to train individuals and groups on materials, processes, and applications.
- Self motivated with the ability to direct and manage many job functions.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and applicable software tools for the position, including, but not limited to, experimental design, data collection, statistical analysis, and project management software applications.
- Must possess the motivation to continually advance in one’s cognitive, technical, business, leadership, organization, and communication skills.
- Must possess an excellent work ethic, a high degree of integrity and a keen business acumen.
- Knowledge of health and safety standards and compliance.