CalPlant, creator of the revolutionary Eureka™ medium density fiberboard (MDF), was founded with the sole purpose of creating and manufacturing agrifiber-focused building products for the 21st century. Strategically located in the heart of the rice farming community in Willows, California, CalPlant promotes environmentally conscious practices by producing Eureka from renewable post-harvest rice straw. Learn more about what we do by visiting our website!
CalPlant offers an exceptional package including:
- Competitive base pay
- Medical, dental, vision insurance coverage
- 401(k) with guaranteed (Safe Harbor) company match of up to 4%.
- Paid time off and paid holidays
We are currently seeking a Process Controls Engineer to provide process controls subject matter expertise in the area of MDF manufacturing process control systems. This position will work with the maintenance team in the development and implementation of a proactive maintenance work program that includes preventative, predictive and corrective maintenance. The Process Controls Engineer is responsible for the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of all facility electrical systems, including power distribution, motor and motor control systems.
Key accountabilities include:
- Perform design and maintenance functions on all software and hardware for digital control, PLC and data acquisition systems.
- Troubleshoot control system failures and make necessary repairs.
- Make systems modifications to correct errors and optimize system performance.
- Configure DCS applications such as motor starts, PID control loops, ladder logic control, etc.
- Originate, engineer, specify and procure material for new control equipment installations and existing control system upgrades and additions.
- Install operating system software upgrades and program fixes. Install, configure and maintain servers and process control workstations.
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware, software and communications problems and perform database administration functions for both real-time and historical databases.
- Maintain interfaces with field devices.
- Inspect motors, switches, junction boxes, switch panels, circuit breakers, transformers, fuse panel, lighting, heating and power circuits. Make preventative and running repairs and corrections.
- Maintain, calibrate and repair pneumatic, mechanical, electrical, electromechanical, and electronic measuring, recording, indicating and control instruments/equipment.
- Work closely with management, instrumentation technicians, electricians, environmental reporting, production personnel and mechanical maintenance disciplines.
- Participate in the development of systems documentation, trains operations and maintenance staff on how to use tools and applications developed.
- Utilize Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to complete work orders.
- Inspect and examine machinery and equipment to detect irregularities and malfunctions. Assist with troubleshooting and analyzing difficult machinery and process issues.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical degree.
- Three years of experience in an industrial setting; composite panel wood products industry maintenance experience a plus but not required.
- Experience with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS).
- Ability to understand and apply NFPA 70E standards.
- DCS experience (design, programming, and troubleshooting) with emphasis on Siemens.
- Experience with Siemens Programmable Logic Controllers, Delta V Distributed Control System, Pi Historian and Siemens Step 7 Professional TIA Portal (PROFINET, PROFIBUS, OPC UA Communications, Modbus RTU, IO-Link, and TCP) strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated aptitude for understanding and manipulating digital control systems and computer-based data management systems.
- Knowledge of industrial 3-phase electricity and devices.
- Knowledge of principles, methods and techniques in the design and operation of automated process control systems and their components.
- Experience with control graphics programming and troubleshooting.
- Must be able to read electrical schematics and have knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLC'S).
- Instrumentation experience in flow meters, temperature (RTD and thermocouple), pressure, and level transducers, control valves, smart meters, schematics & wiring diagrams.
- Ability to identify root cause of problems and effectively initiate immediate corrective action to prevent reoccurrence.
- Experience with forklifts, scissor lifts, and articulating man lifts, etc.
- Working knowledge of safety standards of equipment and lockout/tag out.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills allowing one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Develop contingencies for problems that arise while understanding the consequences of the options.
- Use basic and intermediate mathematical computations for problem solving.
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.